3D Face Mask DIY – How to Make a Simple 3D Mask at Home
With this difficult situation being far from over, and we all must try our best to act responsibly and protect ourselves and everyone around us. That means that wearing a mask should be something we do whenever we go out. But wearing it all day can get pretty uncomfortable. There’s a solution to that problem. DIY 3D face mask which is much more comfortable .
If you like the sound of that, stick around and find out how to make 3D face mask at home. All you have to do is make a 3D face mask pattern and start sewing, simple as that. Let’s get to it!
Below you will find my step by step 3d mask written tutorial with VIDEO instructions for all the visual learners.
We occasionally link to goods offered by vendors to help the reader find relevant products. Some of the links may be affiliate meaning we earn a small commission if an item is purchased.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to make 3d face mask
- 2 3D Mask Supplies and tools
- 3 How To Sew 3d mask
- 3.1 DIY 3d Face Mask VIDEO TUTORIAL
- 3.2 3D FACE MASK INSTRUCTIONS:
- 3.3 STEP 1: Prepare the 3d face mask pattern
- 3.4 STEP 2: Cut the fabric for the mask
- 3.5 STEP 3: (OPTIONAL): Make the filter pocket
- 3.6 STEP 4: Layer the mask
- 3.7 STEP 5: Sew top and bottom
- 3.8 STEP 6: Nose wire channel
- 3.9 STEP 7: Fold, press and topstitch
- 3.10 STEP 8: Make the three-dimensional form
- 3.11 STEP 9: Insert elastic
How to make 3d face mask
Before we get to the instructions on how to sew a simple face mask, first you will need to prepare the required materials.
For this 3D mask with filter pocket, you will need the following supplies.
3D Mask Supplies and tools
- fabric – 100% tightly woven cotton
- 1/16″ round elastic (preferable) or 1/8″ flat elastic – 2 x 7-8″ long
- matching thread
- scissors (or rotary cutter and a cutting mat)
- ruler or measuring tape
- sewing machine (or you can hand sew this)
DOWNLOAD: 3d face mask pattern (Free PDF file)
Follow us for free patterns & tutorials!
How To Sew 3d mask
Watch the 3d mask video first and then follow the written step by step instructions below.
Please enjoy and don’t forget to Like and SUBSCRIBE over on YouTube to be kept up to date with new videos as they come out.
DIY 3d Face Mask VIDEO TUTORIAL
3D FACE MASK INSTRUCTIONS:
STEP 1: Prepare the 3d face mask pattern
Download and print the 3d mask template without any scaling (print at actual size / 100%). The pattern prints on just one piece of paper and includes 4 different sizes – S, M, L, and XL. Cut out the size you need.
All seam allowances are 1/4 inches (6mm) unless noted otherwise.
Which 3d mask size to make?
We all have different facial sizes and features and the fits is a bit different, but as a rough sizing guide:
- size S 2-5 years
- size M 5-12 years
- size L teens and most adults
- size XL large faces/men
STEP 2: Cut the fabric for the mask
Unfold the pattern you made earlier and set it on top of the fabric. Mark the fabric with sewist chalk or a washable pen, using the pattern as a guideline. Cut the fabric along those lines. You will need to cut two of these – one for the main piece and one for lining.
Tip: Before you cut your fabric, wash it thoroughly and iron it.
STEP 3: (OPTIONAL): Make the filter pocket
This step is only for those of you who want to make a 3d face mask with a filter pocket. If you don’t want a filter pocket – skip the step
Cut fabric for the filter pocket. Fold both sides of the pattern towards the middle as shown and cut out a rectangle of fabric according to its highest and widest parts.
Fold the side edges inward 1/4″ twice and press with an iron. Pin and sew the sides.
STEP 4: Layer the mask
Find the middles of each fabric piece: Fold each of the three parts of your mask in half and fingerpress to mark the middle. Place the lining fabric on a flat surface with the right side up, then place the filter pocket on top of it, and finally place the main fabric on top with the wrong side up.
Align the middle of all pieces and pin in place.
Sew all around the edges with a quarter-inch seam allowance. Leave both sides unstitched so that you can turn the whole thing inside out through it.
Clip the curves and snip the pointed edges at the top. This will allow the mask to lay flat.
Turn the whole thing inside out through one of the side openings and press.
STEP 6: Nose wire channel
- Mask with filter pocket: The stitching creates a nose wire channel into the filter pocket. You can insert a twist tie or craft wire into this channel.
- Mask without filter pocket: Turn the fabric inside out through the opening you left earlier. Then insert the nose wire into the fabric piece and set it all the way to the center on the top edge, where the curves are. Secure the wire with pins.
Stitch the wire in place.
STEP 7: Fold, press and topstitch
Fold the mask in half lengthwise. Unfold and fold top and bottom towards the middle crease. Press with an iron and pin in place.
Stitch along the top and bottom folds.
STEP 8: Make the three-dimensional form
Grab the bottom left corner of the folded section. Pull it up and slightly to the left, almost as if you were folding that section in half lengthwise. However, you will be forming a 90-degree angle between the upper edge and the edge you just made by dragging the lower corner up and to the left. Pin in place.
Repeat on the lower side as well. Two new corners will be touching now, one from the top with the one on the bottom. Stitch across from top to the bottom, going through both those corners.
Repeat all these steps on the right side.
STEP 9: Insert elastic
Tuck both side edges in and insert elastic in the opening. Pin or clip in place.
Stitch from top to bottom, back-stitching at the beginning and the end. Repeat on the other side.
Well done, your DIY 3D face mask is complete!
Did you like the 3d mask template and tutorial? Which one do you prefer the VIDEO or the Written instructions?
Do you have any ideas for improvement? Any tips or tricks how to sew a 3D mask even easier and quicker?
Share your thoughts with everyone in the section below. Remember to stay responsible and protect yourself, and everyone around you!
Do you like this 3D mask pattern? Pin for later:
Wanna be friends? Click HERE and follow me on Pinterest
- Free Face mask pattern (fitted, contoured model) Our most popular model to date
- How to make a Scarf face mask
- Child sized face mask template (toddler, kids and teens)
- Breathable mask pattern
- DIY Gaiter face mask (12 different ways to style it!)
- Hand sew a Face mask – NO sewing machine requried (Video tutorial)
- Best fit face mask
- DIY pleated cloth facemask with fabric ties
- How to make surgical face mask with elastic ear loops
- No elastic face mask (No elastic model, around the head ties – great for medical staff)
- Nose wire piece ideas
- Ear guard for nurses and doctors
- Surgical hat pattern (unisex model with ties)
- How to make a plastic face shield
- DIY reusable face shield with cute bow tie